I know I just posted a root veggie recipe yesterday, but what can I say?! Not only do I love the delicious tubers, but we are really trying to clean out the crisper, as we get our first BIG monthly winter farm share tomorrow, so we need all the fridge space we can get. And that means eating more roots. Its a tough life, I know.
So tonight we enjoyed one of my very favorite meals – herb roasted root veggies and a half-roast chicken with perfectly crisp skin…this is perfect late fall fare, if you ask me.
Roasted Roots & Chicken
1 serving chicken = 4 Weight Watchers Points
1 cup roasted roots = 3 Weight Watchers Points
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 large carrots, peeled and cubed
2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 T olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 T fresh rosemary, minced
2 T fresh thyme
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 half chicken, about 1 1/2lb
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mince garlic, rosemary, thyme. Combine herbs, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add 1 T of the olive oil, and mix to make an herby paste.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and carrots, chop into 1″ cubes. Chop potatoes into 1″ cubes (I leave the skin on), and combine the veg in a large bowl. Mix. Add remaining 1 Tb of olive oil to veggies, along with half of the herb mixture. Stir well, making sure all the veg get some oil and herb paste on them. Spread veg on an oiled, rimmed cookie sheet, making sure that all the veggies lay in one later.
- Put veg in the preheated oven, and set a timer for 30 minutes. Stir after 30 minutes.
- While the veg cook, dress the chicken. Cut a 1″ slit in the skin between thigh and leg, pushing your fingers under the skin, and sweep around leg/thigh area to separate the skin from the meat. Insert half of the remaining herb mixture under the skin, and run your fingers along the outside of the skin to spread the herbs out on the meat evenly. Repeat the same procedure for the breast, with the remaining spoonful of herb mixture. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with a bit of salt & pepper for extra seasoning.
- When the veg timer goes off, remove sheet pan from oven, stir veg, and replace in oven on lower middle shelf.
- Place chicken on a small cookie sheet or pie platter, and pop it in the oven, placing the chicken on the middle shelf. Set timer for 35 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, remove chicken from oven, and check for doneness. Set the chicken aside on the counter to rest for a few minutes. Give the veg one last stir.
- Slice the chicken for serving, remove veg from oven, and enjoy the chicken and veg.